Sunday, August 25, 2013

Wide tooth comb vs. Brush vs. Finger Detangling

Idk if it's just me or what but my hair is always tangled. My hair is not thick, in my opinion it is fine but since it is curly it takes a lot of space. And because each strand does its twists and turns, I get tangles like crazy. Now in my head this is how I imagine how knots happen:
  • When running a tool (comb/brush/fingers) through my hair the hair stretches then springs back up once the tool leaves the hair. In the "spring back" my hair is not going in an orderly way if that makes sense. As it shrinks back up because it doesn't usually create clumps every strand is pushing against the other strands. In fact let me just make this simple and easy. My hairs are social and love tying the knot with other strands.  
  • When water touches my hair (even in braids) it shrinks and moves creating twists around other hairs.
I'm sure there are other reasons why my air tangles but these are my opinions. So....lets compare the detangle tools.



 LOL my feet are in this pic. But who cares? Any way these are my combs and brushes. The last comb in the picture is a rat-tail comb which is not used for detangling only for parting the hair.
 The first is the "Tangle Teezer". I bought it online from sally's for $10. It has small and long bristles that are flexible but makes a horrible ripping-out-your-hair sound when you use it. Its hard to hold because there is no handle. Many people believe its too harsh and causes breakage which is why I stopped using it. But really it does detangle well and it doesn't take many strokes to get the job done.

 
The next is a fake Denman style brush from Goody (I'm too cheap to buy a real one). I forgot how much it cost, probably $5-$10 from the local beauty supply store. It comes with 7 rows of plastic semi-flexible bristles but I took three rows out to lessen the damage this may do to my hair. This does a really good job of detangling my hair but I hate that when I use it the red part of the brush slides up and I have to push it back every so often.

 
The next is a comb that I received from Natruallycurly.com is my prize (check my previous posts on more details of this prize). It used to have writing on it and the tips had a protective paint on them but both wore of after a couple of uses. I rarely use this thing. When detangling curly/coily hair wide-tooth combs usually have no flexibility and miss a lot of tangles because the spaces are wide.
 

 
This is also a Goody comb. Idk why I bought this thing. I guess it looked interesting because the teeth bend and are at different lengths. I prefer this over the previous comb because the teeth are closer so they will get more tangle out.

Let me out this out there. FINGER DETANGLING SICKS!!!!! Why do I say this? It doesn't make sense logically that my fingers, or anyone's fingers really, can separate the millions of hairs on your head. I tried it too so I'm not just saying this. Using your fingers there will be shed hairs on your hands, which you need to remove before putting your finger back into your hair, which takes time. Then going through every single strand and separating them and releasing tangles...its just toooooo much. Like really? Washing, styling and drying time for curly hair is already a long process I can't take another time-consuming process. AND it doesn't get ALL the tangles LOL.

Bottom line: I use the Goody brush/ fake Denman most of the time and the wide-tooth Goody comb on rare occasions. I have never had a matt in my hair doing this. Have I experienced some breakage? A little but I'd rather take the little breakage than spending 1/3 of my life detangling using my fingers or missing tangles with a wide-tooth comb.

Let me know if you have any comments or questions by commenting below. Take care!

No comments: